Indignez-vous! Hope in resistance
Join us for a movement building conference with Québec, First Nations and Canadian organizations!
Alternatives, the Council of Canadians and a number of Québec and First Nations organizations, student and labour groups, are holding a major conference in Montréal, October 21-22, 2011. INDIGNEZ-VOUS! HOPE IN RESISTANCE was inspired by the title of Stephane Hessel’s recent book “Indignez-vous! Mr. Hessel will participate by video link to talk about the “Indignant” movement his book has sparked in Europe. The movement is an expression of outrage, particularly on the part of youth, against the growing gap between the very rich and the very poor. People are coming together to defend democratic rights and to protect the environment in the face of the complicity of politicians and the economic elite.
The conference will explore how we can work together as civil society movements in Canada, Québec, and the First Nations to create positive alternatives to a system that makes profits more important than people and the planet.
We hope you can join us for a FREE public forum on Friday evening, October 21, and a full day of plenary panels on Saturday, October 22. The opening panel on Saturday will explore how social movements will work with progressive politicians in Québec and the rest of Canada. Other panels will focus on the protection of our water and environment, strengthening our public health care system, and the threats posed by new trade and security agreements to democracy, public services and civil liberties. The closing panel will feature movement-building campaigns and concrete ways we can work in solidarity.
The conference will be conducted in French and English with simultaneous translation.
- MAUDE BARLOW, Chairperson, The Council of Canadians
- MARTINE CHATELAIN, Présidente, Eau Secours!
- KIM CORNELISSEN, Vice Présidente, Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique (AQLPA)
- DRE MARIE GOULET, Présidente, Médecins Québécois pour le régime public (MQRP)
- MICHEL LAMBERT, Directeur Général, Alternatives
- DORVAL BRUNELLE, Professor, Department of Sociology at the Université du Québec à Montréal and Director of the Observatory of the Americas
- MORNA BALLANTYNE, Director, Regional Offices Branch, Public Service Alliance of Canada and Board member of The Council of Canadians
- FRANCOISE DAVID, Spokesperson for Québec Solidaire
- LAUREN LIU, NDP member for Rivière-des-Mille-Îles
- GARRY NEIL, Council of Canadians Executive Director and Cultural Policy Consultant
- STUART TREW, Trade Campaigner, Council of Canadians
- JANET DENCH, Executive Director, The Canadian Council for Refugees
- SOPHIE HARKAT, wife of Mohamed Harkat and an organizer with the Justice for Harkat Campaign
- PIERRE GUY SYLVESTRE
- CLAUDE VAILLANCOURT, co-president of ATTAC-Québec
- MEERA KARUNANANTHAN, National Water Campaigner, The Council of Canadians
- JOHN CUTFEET, Spokesperson for Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug
- EMMA LUI, Water Campaigner, The Council of Canadians
- LOUISE VANDELAC, Professor, Sociology Department at the Environmental Sciences Institute, Université du Québec à Montréal
- ANGELA GILES, Atlantic Regional Organizer, The Council of Canadians
- DR. MARIE-CLAUDE GOULET, Presidente, MQRP
- ROBERT CHERNOMAS, Professor of Economics, University of Manitoba and Board member of the Council of Canadians
- Canadian Nurses Association (attendee to be confirmed)
- ROGER RASHI, Climate Justice Campaign Coordinator, Alternatives
- ANDREA HARDEN-DONAHUE, Energy and Climate Justice Campaigner, The Council of Canadians
- BILL MOORE-KILGANNON, Council of Canadians Board member and Executive Director, Public Interest Alberta
- ROXANNE DUBOIS, National Chairperson, Canadian Federation of Students
- GHISLAIN PICARD, Regional Assembly of First Nations Chief of Quebec and Labrador
Join us as well, on the Friday afternoon, from 3pm to 6pm, for a discussion about strategy to defend our rights to dissent, advocacy and democratic space in Canada; facilitated by Christian Nadeau, author of Rogue in Power and human rights lawyer Pearl Eliadis. Details HERE.
See you there!
REGISTRATION INFORMATION on the CONFERENCE OFFICIAL WEBSITE