Cochabamba+1: Climate Justice and Ecological Alternatives
Date:Friday, April 15, 2011 - 19:00 - Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 13:00
Location: University of Quebec at Montreal, J.A. DeSève Pavillion, local DS-R510; 320 St-Catherine Street East, Montreal
Organized by: Alternatives and Canadian Dimension magazine
An international conference focusing on:
- Mobilizing against the effects of shale gas exploration and the tar sands;
- Transition towards a carbon-free economy and industrial conversions;
- Ecological crises and people's alternatives.
In short, a moment to build a climate justice movement.
- Pablo Solon, Bolivian ambassador to the United Nations, climate negotiator, and initiator of the World People's Conference on Climate Change in Cochabamba (see video of Ambassador Solon here)
- Maude Barlow, world-renowned activist on the right to water and Chairperson of the Council of Canadians
- André Bélisle, President of the Quebec Coalition Against Atmospheric Pollution
- Judy Rebick, founding publisher of Rabble.ca and author of Transforming Power: From the Personal to the Political.
amidst an incredible list of experts and orators:
- Amir Khadir, elected member of the Quebec's National Assembly for Québec solidaire riding of Mercier
- Andrea Levy, member of the editoriall board for the magazine Canadian Dimension
- Claude Généreux, National Secretary-Treasurer for the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Clayton Thomas Muller, Tar Sands organizer for the Indigenous Environmental Network (IEN)
- Dale Marshall, Climate Change Policy Analyst for the David Suzuki Foundation
- Dorval Brunelle, Professor at UQAM, and director of the Institut d’études internationales de Montréal
- Diana Bronson, Programme Manager at ETC Group, a non-governmental organizations that monitors new technologies
- Elizabeth Peredo, author, activist ecologist, and Director of the Solon Foundation in Bolivia
- Ellen Gabriel, President of Quebec Native Women Inc.
- Éric Darier, Québec director of Greenpeace and co-founder of Mouvement vigilance énergie
- Ian Angus, Editor of the Climate and Capitalism website and author of the Global Fight for Climate Justice
- Jacques Létourneau, member of the Board for Alternatives and special advisor to the executive committee of the Confedaration des des syndicats nationaux
- John Cartwright, President of the Toronto Labour Council
- Judith Marshall, United Steel Workers (USW), Global Affairs Department
- Louise Casselman, Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC), Social Justice Fund
- Michel Ducharme, Vice-president of the Québec Federation of Labour (QFL), president of the Montreal Labour Council
- Michel Lambert, Director General of Alternatives
- Michel Loreau, biologist, Mcgill University
- Mike Hudema, Director of the tar sands campaign for Greenpeace Canada
- Nick De Carlo, Canadian Autoworkers (CAW), National Representativefor the environment
- Pat Mooney, Director General of the ETC Group, a non-governmental organizations that monitors new technologies
- Patrick Bond, South-African author and social-environmental activist (watch video here)
- Roger Rashi, Cochabamba+1 organizer and Editorial Committee member for the Nouveaux cahiers du socialisme
- Terisa Turner, author and sociologist at the University of Guelph
- Tony Clarke, Director of the Polaris Institute
- Ugo Lapointe, founder of "Pour que Québec ait meilleure mine", an association dedicated to fighting uranium mining
- Vinod Raina, Secretary-General of BGVS, a nation-wide movement in India focusing on science and education
- Virginie Lambert-Ferry, Director of the climate change campaign for Greenpeace in Quebec
- a number of other speakers...
- ... and YOU!
In partnership with:
- Canadian Auto Workers (CAW)
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Centrale des syndicats du Québec (CSQ)
- Conseil des syndicats nationaux (CSN)
- Council of Canadians
- Indigenous Environmental Network (IEN)
- Institut d'études internationales de Montréal (IEIM), UQÀM
- Public Service Alliance of Canada, Social Justice Fund
- Québec Federation of Labour (QFL)
Simultaneous translation will be available for all events in English and French.
Note: Online registration is over. Please register on site.
Download the poster and detailed program here: